The Worcester District Medical Society founded in 1794, is a professional organization representing 2,500 physicians and medical students in Central Massachusetts. The Society was established to advance medical knowledge, to develop and maintain highest professional and ethical standards of medical practice and health care, and to serve as an advocate for physicians and their patients.
The Scholarship Committee awards scholarships to medical students each year. The number and amounts offered are evaluated each year based on the monies available through donations and fund raising. The Committee will accept applications for 2022 between June 1 and September 1, 2022.
The criteria for scholarship awards will be based on scholastic achievement, financial need and community service.
- Must be a legal resident of Central Massachusetts at the time of applying to medical school.
- Must be currently enrolled as a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year student, attending an accredited allopathic (MD) or osteopathic (DO) medical school (not on leave or in your gap year, in a degree program such as an MPH or PHD, or in a fellowship year at the time that award is dispersed).
- Must be enrolled and considered a full-time student, maintaining satisfactory academic progress. Candidate must be in good academic standing. Scholarship awards are limited to one award per academic year and not to exceed 3 awards by the time of graduation.
- Must demonstrate involvement in community service and have a financial need.
- Must submit a complete application and include:
- Medical School Transcript (must be official copy mailed directly from medical school)
- Two letters of recommendation
- An essay stating the applicant’s reasons for selecting a career in medicine and why they feel deserving of the award
- Current Curriculum Vitae
*Cities and Towns in Central Massachusetts
*Resources: Worcester District Medical Society Bylaws. Worcester Chamber of Commerce.
Telephone/Zoom interviews will be conducted. Candidates should be prepared to discuss their desire to become a physician, involvement with community service/volunteer opportunities, unique attributes and financial need.
The Scholarship Committee will review all applications and make a selection based on the criteria above. Recipients will be notified by early October.
For questions email Melissa Boucher at MBoucher@wdms.org
To apply, please fill out the form below: